Monday, April 26, 2010

I guess I shouldn't be surprised

In essence I've been jacked, see that name up top, yeah PRIMALDATA that's mine. It's been mine since that fateful day waaay back in 1995 when I first plucked it out of the air from my own twisted mind.  I'm kinda partial to that name, I mean it's been me for over 15 years. Yes I have a real name(which I may put in another blog), but out here on the net I don't use it, IRL(In Real Life) I'm that guy, on here I'm primal. Oh yes I have used a few other names but for the most part if it is me and only me I use primal. I may put the year so you can check and see how long I have been a member of said group(my XBOX 360 name was PRIMALDATA 2005 signifying that I got my 360 in 2005), there is a current one for this year for something else my 360 is busted so now I'm rockin another system.

So doing my google yaself to see where ya at and make sure it's all straight I have found what do you know PRIMALDATA pops up, on a site I have never heard of, joining a clan, for the 360, for a game that I do play, but didn't play at the time.  And reading the syntax of the person, I'm wondering if it was innocent(I have shot a lot of people in rainbow 6 vegas, a lot of people my name may have stuck in their heads) or if it was deliberate. I don't know about you but identity theft whether real life or online is never kosher. Because we all tend to put parts(or in my case all, I'm me whether real life or online I just didn't use my name I used my online name) of ourselves into these persona's. I know why I picked that name, I know what it signifies. I know what others think it has signified over the years and when I am asked I do correct them, simply because you are who you are and while if the legend becomes the truth print the legend, if you control what is printed print the truth. Because then you control the story not some writer, or editor.

Yes I'm pissed, I mean who dares use my name? My name did ya ask, what you didn't see me on 360 for a minute a figured hell that was a cool name why not use it. Which just like in real life the answer is simple, it's not your name. You have no claims to that name, you never did. I didn't realize in this digital world that we had to go out there and start registering and copyrighting our names but it seems we just may have to. I mean I'm used to trolls, you embarrass them in a chat room, a news group(on twitter) wherever and they decide to parody your name and use it for their own purposes. Usually said purposes are the smearing of your good name by having folks report you, because as far as they can tell you did them wrong.

A name like mine the normal trick depending on how I have it spelled on the site is to spell it PRIMA1DATA but lower case so that that 1 looks like the l like so prima1data or do it in all caps but with the first I being a lowercase l like so PRlMALDATA the human eye rarely picks up the difference. And of course since your probably pissed your not gonna wanna hear me claim I never said a word to you. And most moderators or quick with the ban hammer and are lazy when it comes to checkin up on those things.

So there is a gamer out there using my moniker to play shooters just like I do, whether or not we have to have an argument about my name we shall see, I hope not I hope that if it was in omage he will switch it to a close translation or else that we can come to some civil understanding of him NOT USING MY NAME. Not to be rude but, I've been using it longer and personally don't want to share it. I've only used the translation once and personally he can have it. I want me though because thats me, it's a second skin who I log into when I enter the digital world, and I'd like to think it stays that way

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for Primal's Ponderings

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews