Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Following the market

I know some of yall don't know me anywhere but here sokay, as these blogs continue you will learn more and more about me and the twisted way my mind works sometimes. Not talking about that today though I'll do one of those ramblers later.

I happen to trade a few stocks here and there on the net, now I had stopped investing after 05 because I thought the market was at a shakey point and I didn't like how it was looking. Then after a slow start in 06 I used up most of our savings(I'm married remember seperated but married and wasn't seperated in 06) in a job market that had started to dry up(nothing like what it is now, but for the type of job I was looking for yeah weren't a lot of openings) but as most folks say have 6 months of savings welp I had that easily. But I digress like I said I stopped investing after 05 because I realised the bubble that was about to burst and I wanted no part of it, what I already owned I would sell when they hit certain prices(because for most of them I had already cashed in my profit so anything I sold was just money in the bank) but no new purchases. As you can see 4 years later I seemed to have made a wise decision. So now because the market tanked(not crashed, crashed would have been all of them damn near penny stocks, didn't happen wasn't a crash) it is one hell of a buying oppurtunity which I have taken slight advantage of I bought a few companies that I felt got the hell beat out of them, for some fairly for others they were just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I wasn't perfect there were some companies that I wanted in on but was not patient enough for(it happens) but I'm pausing for a minute, I subscribe to the 6 month evaluation theory. I have bought some companies, they have fluctuated in price up and down(most of them mostly up a few of them have been on the roller coaster, especially one that may end up a wasted 80 bucks but o well) but for the most part it seems I have made some good choices. As such watching the market make it's fluctuation but it's slow and steady move upward I am happy. Now will I be so in 6 months I believe so. I think I positioned myself nicely yes I would love to have gotten into a few more sectors, but the most important thing when you invest is pick your price range and stick to it.

(PSA the stocks I am about to talk about were my choices and in no way shape or form am I making an endorsement of them. If you do your own research and decide you like the following stocks so be it, but I repeat I am not recommending these stocks for anyone else. I am just recounting my experiences ONLY).

So what stocks did I buy into, well I'm glad you asked:

Ford motor co del com par (F:NYSE): ford was the first stock I bought getting my feet wet again and I will admit it I chased. Boy did I chase I didn't set a limit price or anything the price I got in at was $2.70 which considering it's current price wasn't bad but since it dropped down to 1.01 later I should have waited. But hey it's a game of chance sometimes and well I ain made I'm in the green now thats all that matters.

E*trade financial corp com (ETFC:Nasdaq): E*trade was actually the second stop purchase but not the second one I put an order in for. I basically put E*trade in for another market order but only because I figured I was willing to ride the roller coaster with it's current average price paid $1.26 a share, yes it dipped lower but hey I got a decent price and thats all I care about.

General Motors corp com (GM:NYSE): GM is only third because it took and extra few days for it to hit my price now yes it has been beated down lately but in my eyes $1.80 a share for what I expected to regain it's footing and be soaring again in the next 3-5 years was a good price. Yes they have been beaten up a little bit lately but just like Ford I expect them to turn it around.

Sirius XM radio inc com (SIRI:Nasdaq): I won't lie sirius was a thumbing my nose at the "expert advice" simply because I read an article sirius which bought up it's only competition and appears to be keeping it's customer base steady and putting out a good product was a smarter buy at $.13 a share then was google in trying economic times at $300+. Of course not how the experts saw it and looking at todays price I was right. Now I have no clue what this will look like in a few months but if it continues to climb out of the doldrums man will I look like a genius.

Washington Mutual inc (Wamuq:other OTC): This is a long shot pick I won't lie and claim that I had research that said oh wamu is gonna turn it around, like I thought sirius would nope this one was just a well known company that had gotten beat down and was so cheap again whats 80 bucks if it shoots the moon? at a price of $.05 really what did I have to lose if it hit's $1.00 thats 20 times what I put in, hell for that one doesn't matter how long it takes I can wait that out. And if it blows up in my face wow I missed going to the movies a few times, meh if you don't go for the home runs every once in a while whats the use of stepping up to the plate huh?

Fannie Mae com (FNM:NYSE): Fannie I let make a few moves upward before I bought now it did retreat after I bought it which is okay, again I don't expect everything to fly up it would be nice, but it's unrealistic. But at $.82 a share it had shown some nice upward moves and is once again above what I initially paid for it.

Freddie mac (FRE:NYSE): Fredro is the pause stock yup the last one I bought. I was a little more patient with freddie, don't ask me why I just was I set the price lower then fannie and at $.70 all that can be said it dude you should learn a little patience.

Thats it thats all I bought since january of this year those are the prices I paid as well as each stocks ticker symbol so if you ever wanna see how ya boy is doing with his picks each week or maybe in 6 months like I myself plan to(6 months from either the first or last purchase I haven't decided yet, I know pitiful.). Most people won't tell ya the price they got in on because well they wanna sound brilliant, me I want you to be able to figure out my break even point and see how I handled my rocky situations or success. I learned a lot of what I learned about investing from books and blogs, most of them would talk about stocks and would give you arbitrary numbers that of course may or may not have had a basis in reality.

Now if I later find out I ain allowed to do that I'll stop(I don't think I'm not allowed to give a stock price on a previous date, I just know your not supposed to not mention if you own a stock when your talking about it) but like I said that gives you a starting point as well as gives you the chance to say check my math. So you know I'm not pulling a bernie madoff talking about "if I told you how I did it I'd have to kill ya", anyway I hope if your also taking the plunge into the market at this time your stocks are doing well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for Primal's Ponderings

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews