Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Leery site titles


Ladies and gents I deal with PC's on a damn near daily basis, I've see all kinds of bugs, trojans, viri and malware. USUALLY said culprits are dug deeep down into sub folders and are stored under fake names, misspelled names and coopted directories. It's also usually difficult to figure out where such insidious programs came from I mean rarely is somebody gonna name their site or pop up "computer destroyer as soon as you click here".

But on the off chance that you are the type to see the "long walk tour of the worlds shortest pier" sign and still sign up, just remember about ol' Curi and the cat okay. I mean come on "Foobar" aka Fubar, as in "Tango and Cash", as in F'ed Up Beyond All Recognition. I don't know what writer initial thought up that term but I remember how quickly it spread, everybody loves saying "FUBAR", it fits soo many situations perfectly. So if you in anyway name your site "Fubar" I'm not visiting.

I don't go to Grizzlylove.com to find my beloved thick thighed, ample breasted, big bootied delights that ain what I'm gonna find there(NOR am I in a hurry to see what I'll find there, maybe I'll find actual bears, maybe half naked hairy dudes no thanks), and if I go to Headnurses.com I don't expect to find kid friendly material. I mean yes it could be about actual, long tenured, senior staff medical professionals but its probably about women with some well documented oral skills, just saying.

And if all the files associated with the site have bogus names, no names, or swear your computer is "infected and needs to be scanned now", yeah don't click the magic box, its a virus/malware. Virus scans take time and USUALLY ask permission first, they dont scan you first on reputable sites and then ask you. Thats like the TSA frisking you at your house and then asking if you'd like to travel by plane for your vacations 8 months from now. It's Bass Ackwards and extremely suspicious and removal takes time.

Hell it took me 2 days to remove the various viruses and malware off my uncles computer(granted he came in half way through while I was removing some files and restarted his PC so i had to start over but still) its rarely quick and the folks who do it are devious. Creating hidden files and installing their software in legitimate sub directories, if you see a scan that took 3 seconds and has a full list, yup that "scan" is your virus.

Most good scans at least take 10-15 minutes even if its a fresh load of the PC(yup I've run scans on fresh loads before to test), so while I may love ol' WB Speedy Gonzales, most virus scans are his cousin Slow Poke.

Just a heads up, if you just like handing money over to techs like me go ahead and "investigate that blood curdling scream on the net" otherwise steer clear of sites with names that seem off
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for Primal's Ponderings

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews