Friday, January 18, 2019

Movie Goals: 2018 So how'd I do?



Obviously I didn't do one of these last year but I can get into how many movies I watched. I think I hit most of my "want to see in theaters" movies in 2018. I know I missed a few due to schedule, funds, sibling availability, and forgetfulness. A few movies came out under the radar and thus were missed completely. A few fell into "let me play a few more matches" hole of I was having more fun gaming and it wasn't THAT much of a must see for me. I will use this blog as the format for how I do these posts in the future INCLUDING the Movie Goals for 2019 list. Which I will try and type up by FRIDAY (yes I am marking this post as well as putting a DEADLINE on myself for 2 posts) because I think ONE of the movies I want to see for 2019 comes out this week so BOOM.

Now as far as 2018 is concerned(enough with the stalling) I went to see 15 movies last year, I hit MOST of the movies I wanted to see ESPECIALLY the big comic book movies. I still haven't finished all of the movie trailers posts I need to get back to those, but yeah will do it this way the movies I actually went to first, movies I was first high on but then kind of chilled later, and then the movies I was still high on but just missed. So lets get into it

2018 My Year in Movies


The big movies of course were: Black Panther, A Wrinkle in time, Ready Player One, Avengers Infinity War, Deadpool 2, The Incredibles 2, Ant-man and the Wasp, Venom, Creed 2, Spider-man: Into the Spider-verse, and Aquaman.

Cream of the Crop 

Black Panther, Avengers: IW, and Incredibles 2  the cut off for this is 300 million which while Aquaman is close technically most of that money happens in 2019 so I can't really put Aquaman on the 2018 list. 500 million+ is insane, pretty much all of these movies broke 1 billion worldwide (yes, Aquaman has made 1 billion world wide, but it hit 1 billion in 2019 it's overseas box office is insane). Disney going all Scrooge McDuck in the box office this year even the 600 mil worldwide from AMatM isn't really anything to sneeze at(But more on that later). Seriously on it's own Marvel made the ENTIRETY of Disney's purchase price back in 2019. 4 billion dollars in one year. Even with the SNAP. And of course the Incredibles 2, it may have been a good 14 years too late but it took the box office by storm too. Me and the bredren checked it out while we were out of town. LOVED IT. Jack Jack was everything I wanted him to be, as was Edna and her love for the tyke.

Now the SJW hate flower FREELY in 2018 anything that seemed DIVERSE, FUN, and IN TUNE with more than just the majority never really got it's full props REGARDLESS of how much it made in the box office. Hell the success of one movie(in my opinion) dumped it's hate on another movie since it stayed climbing the charts. Black Panther was everything you could have wanted it to be with the restrictions placed upon it with Marvels rights situation AT THE TIME IT WAS SHOT, and Infinity War proved that Disney has No PROBLEM dusting 4.5 billion dollars. Seriously, the Russo brothers and Disney pulled no punches and had half the world begging to trade in THE OTHER KID as the dust settled. Because just as you thought "oh no, we are gonna lose this character" they pull the okie doke and snatch your heart with someone else. Oh and by the way, they got me I thought NOBODY had a pair that large, not for THE LOGO, like come on now who kills the character SYNONYMOUS with the company? So yeah I was cleaning the goatee when it happened cause I wasn't ready.

Kicking in the Door

Venom, Deadpool 2, and Ant-man and the Wasp don't break 300 million. They all made money, they all pretty much banked World Wide but domestically were good but not Ba-boom in any other year these movies would be the talk (and before anyone mentions 2 movies that SHOULD be on here because they made money but seem glaring, these are movies I SAW in 2018 in the THEATER I'll talk about movies I missed near the end) HILARIOUSLY they are in order of earnings even though I didn't know who made more. Venom is of course the surprise hit(once again, Aquaman is making Dough but it's gone keep rocking into 2019 so It's coming up) After The Amazing Spider-Man 2 didn't mean expectations all of the movies planned after it were cancelled, INCLUDING Venom. And with the ratings fiasco(they wouldn't just come out and admit it was going to be PG-13 to reach a broader audience), the tepid early reviews, and people unsure of where it fit in the cannon it made bank. Deadpool 2 didn't make as much DOMESTICALLY as the first one but still did well world wide. And Of course Ant-man and the Wasp did better domestically than the first outing.

Deadpool 2 had a lot of fun with itself, it obviously had a bigger budget. It lost it's original director, made even more fun of both the comic books AND Fox Studios but it just didn't make as much money. It was a fun movie, I laughed the whole time, the villains were awesome as were the cannon fodder deaths. And as ONLY Deadpool would do, the after credits scenes EPIC, I hope you stayed to watch them. Now I know they did a RERELEASE of the Deadpool movies but I haven't seen Once upon a Deadpool yet thus it ain up here.

One of the FUNNIEST fauxtroversies of the year was peoples lack of math skills. Because of the Wasps prominence in the movie people forgot how to do math. It made more than the first one, so of course it was a flop. Wait what? Yes that was one of the saltiest takes of the year I can ignore the TDK dumps of BP talk, when you have More money both in your fictional universe as well as at the box office jealousy is to be expected. But when you are basically facing yourself seriously making more money is making more money even if you want to be mad that the girls are allowed to play. Some of the more ridiculous arguments were that since it was a Marvel movie, it should have made 1 billion dollars. Black Panther and Iron Man 3 are the only solo movies(and with Rhodey in both sequels it is a stretch to call Iron Man 2 and Iron man 3 Solos but wasn't the full team so, meh) to have reached that feat, Civil War was basically an AVENGERS movie, Cap just got Top Billing it was technically the sequel to Age of Ultron as they finished up the Sokovia business. It was in line with most of the other Sequels world wide Box office numbers.









Pages:

1

2

3

4




No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for Primal's Ponderings

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews