Saturday, July 16, 2011

The Motorola Backflip

As I noticed somebody hit my blog talking about Hammering their Backflip let me discuss some of my favorite "blackflip issues".

Backflip issue number one: Battery life, I don't know who or what sucks the power out of my backflip while it is in "sleep mode" in my holster not doing a damn thing, but as nice as the keyboard on this phone is, how pretty the screen is. Pulling out my phone after a 45 minute car ride and it's like half dead and I haven't used it to complete a call is a no no. And no it isn't a defective battery per se because this is a new battery I had my service provider send me one of those first when it initially reared it's ugly head.



Issue number two: I don't know about you but being a "charger snob" is NOT ACCEPTABLE. I don't know who else has run into this but sometimes I will plug my Backflip into a charger(usually in a car but sometimes even up to my PC) and all will seem well I will see the little lightning bolt, it will do the little charging animation and I will sit the phone down and go away. Then I will come back later and if I am lucky the phone is in the red, if I'm not the phone has drained itself out and is showing me the "phone off charging the battery animation". And to make matters worse the phone will not charge more than 1% like this, the phone will be plugged in to power and stay at 1%. In my attempts to resolve that issue I usually yank the battery a few times and that APPEARS to fix it but then I get my favorite issue, it begins to charge up gets a good 10% sometimes even 15% of juice from where ever it says it is on the screen and then starts just burning up charge while still plugged in. Yup that's right somehow the CHARGER is using the back flips battery instead of charging the backflip, oh yes this is how I feel on long car trips. Uh oh my phone is about to die, pug it up DOH! phone charge has gone down the hole.

Issue Number three: The "I don't want to access the dial pad, I don't want to access you recent calls, missed calls, outgoing or incoming". Yup it will just show up as a black screen, I might see the little drop down box to be able to select which call I might want to view but sometimes it's just a black screen. Or when I go to use one of the Apps instead of it working I get a force close, or I might just get a white screen(as I pictured to the right), or the phone will reboot out of no where. Oh yes the phone is possessed with the spirit of "Screw you and whatever you thought you were trying to do". I love dealing with that, or even better when the slider bar refuses to recognize my finger to go ahead and answer a call when the phone screen is locked. The last issue only showed up when I upgraded to the latest version of the firmware for Android(blackberry never had this problem *shrug*)

Issue Number four: The phantom touchscreen monster. Granted this is all touch screen phones but sometimes it seems like my phone either ignores my finger or else decides to give my finger turbo boost and send me everywhere. So it's either tap the "end" button, try to slide to the next panel, open an app, or open the menu in vain.


I don't know if any of you have run into these issues, but these are a few of my faves. And no a factory reset(which left me with the latest android firmware version for my phone 2.1-update 1) didn't help me, I called my provider already the only thing I have yet to do is get a whole new phone, well a refurbished one. And after the hassle I had with my refurbished curve I'd rather shell out the dough for a brand new phone than to sit here hoping my refurbished phone doesn't act worse than my current(and if the amount of venom directed at Backflip's on the web is any indication it probably will be).

1 comment:

  1. There are TWO "Lightning Bolts" that I see on my Motorola Backflip(and I also see the mini one on my blackberry but ahem thats another post). When the phone is plugged in while off you will see an Animation with a emptied out battery with a silver/grey outline and a grey/silver lightning bolt in the middle. This is the "charging animation" if you allowed your phone to go all the way dead(or it drained itself out as mine sometimes does) you will see the battery go from a slight sliver of red almost liquid like substance(from 0-11%), to a dingy yellow (11-29%) and then finally green (30%-100%). In the "Powered off mode" the battery fills up slowly and unless it is full you will always see space inside of it.

    While the phone is in the "powered on mode" you will see a little yellow/golden lightning bolt where the battery sits, usually this pops up when you plug it into a wall, usb or car charger. If it is above 9 or 10% you will usually see the battery animation fill up and then drop back to the phones current state of charge and then fill up again. If you see a black two pronged plug in the battery icon the phone is either fully charged or else the device you have your phone plugged in to is not strong enough to charge your phone(you may sometimes also get a little warning message telling you so).

    Each have their benefits in power off mode nothing is draining power from the battery as it is charging so this is USUALLY the fastest charging method. Even if you don't get up to 100% withing 15-20 minutes you can usually get an almost dead battery to about 40 or 50%. While powered on you can still use the phone, recieve phone calls, get text messages, browse the web, listen to music, watch videos, etc(hey it's a smart phone we all know the list runs on and on). While a little slower than the powered down charge again if you have a reliable charging device and still need your phone seeing the "golden lightning bolt" may be your best friend.

    I hope this helps who ever Googled Lightning bolt, By the way if you leave me comments or ask questions you'll get a little Disqus notification letting you know if I ever came back to answer it(now that I have my notifications turned on I try to answer all comments within a few days).

    ReplyDelete

Disqus for Primal's Ponderings

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews