Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Managing you reality

Seeing a recent story in the news I realize something. As much as we all think living our dreams and making it is great seeing what happens to some of the folks who make it, I guess the nicest way I can put it is money doesn't breed happiness it breeds stress.  Huh Prime what the hell are you talking about. Okay I'm sure by now you have heard about Katt Williams arrest(hmm the CNN story has even more news about it so I'm gonna follow up on that in a later paragraph), and prior to his arrest Katt had been having some problems for which he checked himself into therapy. Now Katt is a comedian(oh you though I was gonna link you to death on his name nah, I might link you to a video later but this ain just about katt williams so bear with me), for most of us you would say man a comedian their life must be a chuckle a minute they must never have a single problem. To which I say, wait what have you never heard of richard prior (yes that is the google search page if you don't know who rich is take a day and get fully acquainted cause you seriously missed out)? As brilliant as Richard Pryor was, as many people list him as an inspiration(see also Red Foxx especially when it comes to handling your own money), Richard's addiction to cocaine almost ended his life (the famous 1980 free basing incident).

If I get off of comedians and say go to actors Heath ledger comes to mind, or River Phoenix , John Belushi (comedic actor yes but actor none the less) I loved every last one of these guys work. Each of them in their own special way brought characters to life that made you sit and watch and you appreciated it because they brought something special to you, and you never could forget it. If I wanna go to the living Winona Ryder

her issues with shop lifting for a while. It got me to thinking(I was gonna do more and I still might but now that I have to do the html long form I am gonna be a little lazy) I mean these people have the lives that most of us wish we had. They are entertainers, famous stars, they have the money, the cars, the fame, the clothes(some that they just walk the hell out with sorry winona I still love you), the houses what most of us would say man if I had that my life would be set.  And yet most of the people on this list went through issues that most of us struggle with day to day.

To clear up Katt's issue from the first paragraph if by what I am reading Cnn is saying it appears Katt found himself a 5 star hater. It appears Katt(whether because dude figures they about to make some dough together on a project currently filming, Katt's new Dvd Pimpadelic is out in stores by the way I need to pick it up myself) was staying there with permission but argued with an assistant, and the assistant decided to make a phone call to the police and have him arrested. That at least explains why he was smiling in his mug shot, you may have gotten him for the evening but you just lost your job(or got a brand new one that requires knee pads, some may find that little aside in poor taste but if a guy had done it I would say the same thing because pulling a stunt like that your either on the street or suckin something to keep ya job). Now yes we all run into folks who think they are the boss when the boss ain there, I don't care what job your are in or where you are there is always somebody trying to throw their weight around to make themself feel good. Just don't involve the cops in it because if it is found to be a fraudulent charge you'll be the one wearing bracelets next. But even so Katt has been said to be exhausted as of late(which was the cause of him checkin in for therapy) so for all that money he has he has a lot more responsibility and it appears a lot more stress(though I 'm sure he prefers that money and stress to being a regular 9-5 person like the rest of us watching him on TV, DVD, or the silver screen).

That has me thinking, as we come up with these dreams, and (hopefully) make moves towards them have we truly planned out what the first step after we have reach our initial mountain top is going to be? I mean honestly a lot of what I see when I see some of these stars and their issues is the fact that besides doing what they love they're kinda just like me and you. Okay I'm here now what, I got all this money like I have always dreamed of having let me live every last second like tomorrow it will be gone. Which if you think about it is kind of foolish. I mean if all of us only get 15 minutes of fame, why blow the spoils of that 15 minutes during it. Why not set ourselves up to while maybe not living like kings not having to ever get a more mundane job again shall we say. Think about all those one hit wonders, one album wonders out there you see them basking in the B40B's(look it up eminems second album Steve berman just in case you're lazy) living it up only to be back in the hood trying to find a way to get back in the lime light(no I refuse to stoop so low as to bring up a certain stage rushing incident). They had all this money flashed in front of their eyes and never thought hmmm maybe I should put this away somewhere so that when I'm no longer hot they aren't coming to repo my entire life.

And you've heard about it, you've seen some of the people it happened to 2 years ago there were living the life rims spinning, diamons shining, showing you they grill and now all the sudden they're trying to hide their posessions because either it wasn't fully paid off yet or else they on their way to the pawn shop so they can eat tonight. Which should never happen, money in hand is money in hand and it doesn't have to make you lose your mind. If you have a dream to become famous(rapper, singer, actor, athlete, Tv personality, comedian, DJ, Chef whatever) also make a plan for your life past the flashing lights. Because when those lights get turned off at the end of the day, and you are locked behind that door that is who is gonna have to be there for you if it all goes wrong. If people no longer find you entertaining(for a minute, folks disappear all the time only to resurface later john travolta anyone), if your jumper is broke, your knee blows out, your character isn't popular, they don't like your last song. The person who you really are is who is gonna have to figure out how to keep going from day to day. Hell even people who are hot for years can have money problems, so instead of spending it all early(first contract, first album, first season whatever I can kinda forgive if you wanna just blow some of that go ahead) put some of it away so that if your rainy day comes and it turns out to be a hurricane washing away what you thought you had, you aren't completely gone.

Not only that but have a back up plan along with your dream, so that if it stalls for a second you are still moving forward maybe you aren't running or flying but you're walking one step at a time. My dad told me a long time ago that if because everything isn't going perfect that you only focus on the negatives going on around you, you will miss an opportunity to enjoy some good occurrences. I almost called them minor, but they might not be minor, you may have had the time of your life and forgot about how good it felt to just be you. Ever notice that when you get a chance to let your hair down, loosen ya shirt buttons, kick off your shoes and just walk around being you how much better the world feels. When you aren't worried about your or anybody else's expectations it's just you and your surroundings for a minute enjoying just being. I'm not saying get stuck there but take a moment to enjoy the hard work that got you there, and if need be sit back assess where you are and get ready for the next leg of the journey.

Cause if you wake up tomorrow, whew you have another chance at a whole new adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for Primal's Ponderings

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews