Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Diminutive Debutante or the Greeter

We all have our preferences when it comes to snacks, some of us like Lays, some of us like Vintners, some Ruffles same with snack cakes. Personally my tastes tend to jump brands for the most part down here I am a little Debbie fiend(yes that would be the Diminutive Debutante, oh you don't find that cute? Hater) especially in my more waist be damned days I would gobble up Swiss Rolls, Chocolate Chip Creme pies, Fudge Brownies and those little mini chocolate donuts. My reasoning besides price was(because you know little Debbie tends to be between 35-75 cents) I guess some of the cremes, coatings, and frostings tasted a little sweeter to me. I mean yes I like some of Hostess' fruit pies(thesauri people they exist both on line and in print) I used to love their lemon before they stopped making them(or at least I was told they stopped making them, but it could be like Sobe Black Tea just not working in this market) but past the pies while twinkies are okay you can only eat so much sponge cake.



I used to be terrible when I first got back to Memphis in 07 my breakfast used to be a Peach Faygo and a Little Debbie's Pecan Pie(which also stopped being made, somebody at these snack companies has it out for me, just saying) no it wasn't the breakfast of champions but hey it was my comfortable way to start a morning. Yes I love actual candy bars but most times I want more than creamy nougat or fluffy mousse to fill my stomach, especially when forced to face my mortal enemy El Sol. I remember the ads when I was a kid that silly twinkie cowboy and the way the Cupcake kid was always at his side, but I just wasn't as found of their chocolate. Like everyone else I like what I like, I may have like Hostess' Lemon and Cherry Pies but when it came to say french Apple I wouldn't touch theirs, oh no it had to be Tastykake(who of course you can't get past Georgia because the universe has a sick sense of humor):That thin strip of white icing, the way the apples and raisins meshed beautifully in the filling. I mean when you've had the best why settle for just apple pie? It also doesn't help Hostess out that most of their snacks start north of a dollar, I mean yes I know there has been inflation but if everybody else is still under a dollar what you think you have the ONLY cake in town(well technically at some gas stations they do, but I could walk to the next store right next door) not only that but they don't even put their best cakes out just those tired representatives of their brand that others make far better versions of. I mean honestly which do you prefer Hoho's or Swiss Cake Rolls, I know they are the same thing most people probably look at them, see the shape, and completely ignore that the names are different but the over all look and make up the same. What can I say I notice weird relationships and similarities *shrug*.

Now yes some places are just off the beaten path enough, or else do not feel the market share would be worth the gas to put both out there, it's not unlike seeing gatorade but not powerade, or seeing gatorade and powerade but not vitamin water. Shelf space is important in stores, every spot must be optimized to hopefully sell quickly and keep you coming back for more while not leaving any holes where whatever coinage or folding money you have in your pocket doesn't have a reason to go back in. And one of the best ways to part you from your hard earned dollar is sweets or snack chips, personally I feel when it comes to sweets Lil Debbie's edge comes in the chocolate chip creme pies, the granola bars, and the strawberry short cakes thinks not offered by Hostess. Yes they do have little sponge cakes, they have some cupcakes that they sell in some stores but in those cases I admit Hostess keeps it's advantage(though if we were say further to the east Tasty Kake would be kicking their butt, but we ain talking bout them).

I started this post MONTHS ago but I left it as a draft as I started doing something(probably just looked at it enjoyed the silliness and never gave it another thought) and while it is silly and a fluff piece(no pun intended) I am kind of curious reading it again, what is your favorite snack food and if there are two brands offered is there a particular company who's product you would either buy regularly or go out of your way to pick up?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for Primal's Ponderings

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews