Friday, August 5, 2011

I guess it's better to write whats on your mind than to try and force it

While I have quite a few posts languishing in draft at the moment I am doing a post for  the "Sequels vs Remakes and Reboots" series focusing on Spider-man, one of my favorite comic book characters. For those who don't know Sony Pictures is Rebooting their Spider-man movie series starting back from the beginning with Peter Parker in high school. The name of the movie is "the Amazing Spider-man" after the long running comic of the same name. Supposedly it is taking a slightly darker tone more along the lines of the Ultimate Series, and one of the things I'm happy about is a return to the Web Shooters which are an iconic part of the Spider-man universe.

Geektyrant and Thinkhero as usual have great coverage with many different vids, images and opinions on the entire process from the initial news of Spider-man 4 being canceled for the reboot to the casting of the new Peter Parker, to high res images and video clips. Of course some people are upset about the change from Tobey Macguire and Sam Raimi to Andrew Garfield and Marc Webb. but in my eyes the reboot allows us to see some of the iconic Spider-man villians re-imagined, brought back to life, or brought into the timeline. I won't deny I have always HATED the Gobby costume from the first movie, I thought it look stupid and forced almost as if they were trying to upgrade not only spider-man's origin but also his villains costumes. For the first movie nah it didn't work not at all, it was just a disaster, I loved Doc Ock's costume in the second one, Sandman's costume was pretty good too, Venom Sucked and Gobby Jr, was meh. So as far as I am concerned Sam Raimi was 3-2 and 1  with costumes. Spidey's costume was good, Gobby's costume sucked, Doc Oc was good, Sandman was good, Venom SUCKED, and Harry/Gobby jr was in the middle he was supposed to be wearing the original goblin costume but in real life he probably would have had an updated costume with better functionality made. So I will let that one be a push.



So in my view it may have been nice to see Raimi bring another villain to the screen since he made pretty decent Spider-man movies, they grossed well, had good action, and were entertaining. But killing Venom off with such lousy screen time come on he is a major Spidey villain. I was already pissed with him picking Topher Grace who looked like Tobey Macguire which was pretty much the OPPOSITE of what Marvel did, Eddie Brock was the Anti Peter Parker, he was a jock, he was more popular, and he was bigger, taller and stronger. So for them to pick a guy who was small and skinny was a no no to me and then you kill him off grrr wth. Sandman was fine, killing off Harry was a push because Harry has died before in the Marvel Universe so that isn't uncharted territory. I have often railed against killing off major villains because part of the Draw of comics is that you can often revisit popular characters and add new Epic battles, yes its more necessary for comic books to keep the villains alive since they have monthly installments to make but since Superman never killed Lex Luthor I think we can leave the bad guys alive.

Its kind of funny I started one on Robin Hood, I was thinking of doing one on the Three Musketeers since they have a new movie coming out, of course I could do the ones on the movies I have watched but I don't know spidey just took center stage. I don't know how many parts it will be but hey I'm glad I have a reason to start writing again. And it's Spider-man so while I will go through and gather various links for the most part I know the character by heart, I will go and either verify some things or else fill in a few pieces but it's hard to need help talking about a favorite memory from childhood, or maybe thats just me.

Well let me put this one to bed feel free to leave your thoughts on the spidey reboot(or the Three Musketeers one that is coming) or even your general feelings on remakes, as long as you don't get all flamey or spammy yourthoughts are welcome here on the ponderings

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for Primal's Ponderings

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews