Friday, August 26, 2011

Live long enough and you will see it all

As a youngster I remember telling my mother "It doesn't snow in February" with all the confidence and pride that all of my 8 years of life on this planet at the time had filled me with. Yup in 8 years of life I had NEVER seen a single snow fall past late January and most likely similar to many of my other fellow 70's children thought that as I had never seen it and I had seen much that it must have been impossible. That very February I was witness to one of the worst blizzards in New Jersey history, or possibly not. It may just have been my mother deciding to give me a taste of my own arrogant medicine. Well it seems that in 2011 another mother has decided to scold her rather arrogant child.

Me and many other East coast natives have been known to joke that while we love sun and sand that we prefer our ground to be nice and stable thus we will keep to our eastern shores cause the terra stays firma, ahem well I guess the ground ain so stable after all. While it was only a 5.8 for a spot where in 35 out of my 36 years when we heard earthquake we were wondering if all the folks in California were okay for once I had to hit up quite a few of my hometown and state friends and ask "are you okay". And now as if a return to some form of "normalcy" Hurricane Irene is about to strike, which also makes me think back to a guy who I used to work with who SWORE that we didn't get hurricanes up in Jersey. And yet I remember being a Jersey resident and living through at least 3 hurricanes that made it all the way up the coast as well as one that had an almost iconic video of some of the Atlantic City boardwalk floating out to sea.

So in one week in 2011 there has been an Earthquake on the east cost that rocked from Dc, to NY, to parts of Sc and now a hurricane is blowing through to smooth out the shaken terra not so firma. As I was about to name this post "isn't it great to live long enough to be proven a fool"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for Primal's Ponderings

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews