Saturday, January 14, 2017

My favorite trailers of 2016

2016 was an interesting year for movies, we had a lot of blockbuster I believe 2016 was a record breaking year for the movie industry(I know Disney made it to 1 billion faster than anyone else, granted they did have Zootopia and Civil War to start out the year with), it also saw some monumental flops, as well as the first flop that technically made money, but disappointed almost everyone who watched it. As such you know what interests some people in a movie: A mean trailer, like if you can sell your movie in a trailer that might lead you to a decent opening weekend. My favorite trailers technically weren't in 2016, they were the Deadpool trailers and 90% of those were dropped in 2015. We also had an interesting trailer war going on between Marvel and DC, I think Marvel won the MOVIE war this year, I definitely know Disney did, Civil War, Finding Dory, Zootopia, Rogue One and I am sure I missed a few(Since everybody has under studios that count towards their year) but I think DC had a few good trailers too, especially for Suicide Squad.

Now to do this list I am not just going to talk about every trailer I saw, that would be too easy. I am going to go through the trailers that I saw in theater of course you are going to wonder, "how is he going to remember all of those movies?" Well for those who have been reading this blog for a while you will remember my method for doing the trailer blog before the reviews I text myself the trailers for each movie I see during the year. So I am going to go through each movie text, rewatch the trailers and then decide which were my fav's for the year. And yes I will do them just like I usually do the trailer blog by linking you to said trailer. Now it may or may not be the first trailer but I will try and give you the one that really got me hyped for the movie.


And to kick it off my favorite of 2016 has to be

Captain America:Civil War Trailer #2

The Spider-man reveal trailer had to be the best surprise all year. We all knew he was going to be IN the movie, nobody realized he was gonna look that good, and we damn sure didn't realize he was going to be in the meat of the action, how they had cut him out of the first few teasers and trailers is beyond me but whew when you saw webhead you felt, relieved. I know there is later one that shows Ant-man becoming Giantman but that came out after the movie, I'm talking about that first "Underoos" plus the cheeky "Hey Everybody" I know it was to the other Avengers but it was almost to the fans like Spidey does in some of his cartoons. Plus it was an actual Civil War panel, he did take caps shield in the Civil War comic story arc. If you check many of the Reaction videos(which is a new thing on youtube or at least new to me) 9 out of 10 I saw loved it, I think I saw maybe one video where the guy wasn't overly impressed with the costume or the "gimmicky eyes" (whatever fun sucker, we don't need you). Spidey is home and we got the introduction that we all wanted.

Rogue One: A Star Wars story Trailer #1

I know some people prefer the last trailer, but the first one was the most Star Wars to me. It made me feel like I did when I was a kid watching the trailer for Empire and Jedi. I see the ominous power of the Empire, I see people who seem to be at their wits end, and I see defiance. Maybe Jin doesn't have the Space Buns, and she definitely isn't asking some weird old space wizard for help, but she is definitely a rebel. The only person I know(or at least I thought I knew, congrats to the Actress playing Mon Motha I thought that was the original put in there with CGI) is Mon Motha, no Chewie, no Threepio, no R2, and no Falcon it appears to be an arid planet but it doesn't have the Twin Suns of Tattoine. There are droids, you have a cocky dude who might be a smuggler or he could be a rebel assassin and you have a mission that is impossible yet vital to the future of the rebellion(cause aren't that all. IJS, they always give you the behind the 8ball mission). A lot of us thought the guy in the white uniform was Admiral Thrawn(he wasn't) and at the end, we get a Vader silhouette it was magnificent if tickets had been on sale I would have bought them that night(they weren't).

Wonder Woman Trailer #1 

This trailer took me by surprise, it's pretty much her original origin story with a few revisions and a tad bit of updating. She uses her bracers a lot so I don't know if THIS iteration of Wonder Woman is bullet proof. I also don't know if she can fly, jump really far, or is just meta humanly athletic(and I am only saying Meta because in this trailer they have shown her doing some awesome things but they don't yet reach full SUPER level. She starts picking up tanks I'll say super). This trailer teases you making you THINK they are going to give you the Amazonian Princess from the last say 15 years in the cartoons and comics yet at the same time there is enough pull back so that they haven't given it all away. They also for the moment don't seem to be saying much about her lineage, so while I COULD go to the comics she might have yet another origin story that is an amalgam of all the others set up just for the DC Extended Universe(Marvel coined MCU for Marvel Cinematic Universe and I guess being the DCCU would have been silly). It gives me hope, maybe this will be more like Suicide Squad than like Batman v Superman and since filming for her movie started after the other two and has had time to see which was the better received I am hoping adjustments were made. I know they are also in the process of filming Justice League, so there might not be enough room for too much course correction but I hope they are able to find the balance as well as get in good reshoots if possible.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 Trailer #1

I would pick the "I am groot, I am groot, I AM GROOOT" trailer, because it does rock but this one has the better ending, especially since James Gunn lied about "I didn't create baby Groot just to sell action figures. James, Jimmy, my boy Ed has something to say to you ... You see Gamora, you see Starlord, you get the WORST WINGMAN MOMENT EVER by Drax like I would put it under worst pep talk, and still might but that honor belongs to Thor, lest we forget Age of Ultron(like DUDE we are trying to cheer him up, not make him writhe in agony. Never ask an Asgardian to talk down a battle). And of course at the end, Rocket makes something go boom and there is Groot. More trailers have dropped but "Hooked on a Feeling" playing in the background again and seeing the whole gang reassembled feels good. I'm not denying this trailer exists but A I didn't see it in the movies and B who leaves baby Groot around a bomb, that has a DEATH BUTTON, I mean come on Rocket.

And last but certainly not least

Doctor Strange Trailer #2

I loved the movie, and most of the trailers gave me a good feeling of what MIGHT be, but I love this trailer because it has Chewitel Ejiofor saying his catchphrase "We're not savages." Because you always feel like the person he says it to feels stupid afterwards, like "of course we aren't I didn't think that, why would I think that" I mean this was about the wifi password, and Doctor Strange in a land full of mystics isn't exactly out of place asking if this is his new mantra. "But nooo, you got to talk to me like I got Boo Boo the Fool written on my forehead, do you not know who I used to be." You can just see him mentally saying "it's the wifi password, hohoohoo we're not savages. How am I supposed to know you have wifi up here in the mountains oh wise man of the mystic arts" it set the tone of just the right amount of seriousness with a bit of fun. You have no clue who the bad guy is, or why(trailers never give it away) you just know some stick up his butt doctor gets in a car crash, loses his way, and ends up trying to learn the mystic arts. Okay, okay, and he gets a pimpin cape at the end I mean the cape has style what can I say.


Now I know this blog was heavily Marvel and I can't help that those were the trailers I got with MOST of the movies I saw this year. Surprisingly I didn't go to a single movie with a trailer for Suicide Squad in it, I did get one for Jason Bourne but while I did go see it, the trailer was kind of muted which was fine he's kind of James Bond but not really. I got one for Planet of the Apes but meh, I watch those when they come out on cable, Skull island is an on the fence for me still not sure if I want to go see it, I did like Godzilla(the last one) but do I want to see another King Kong movie? This wasn't an every trailer of 2016 blog, just the ones I liked and got me hyped for upcoming movies. These definitely hit that mark for me, did a good trailer guarantee that your movie was going to make money, no but it did at least pique my interest in your offering. So here's to the 2016 trailers of movies that have yet to drop or are about to drop, I hope to enjoy those I watch and hopefully I blog some of them as well as the movies going forward.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for Primal's Ponderings

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews