Monday, December 20, 2010

I know I'm overdue with the review but....

If you are living under a rock and do not understand what just happened in Philadelphia Eagle land yesterday afternoon, I feel sorry for you(Almost as sorry as I feel for my Giants fan friends who I already know not to talk to right now). As a football fan what happen yesterday is something that ONLY happens in video games. If you are down by 21 points with less than 10 minutes to go in the final quarter NO WAY IN HELL do you come back and win the game in regulation, especially if your OFFENSE has to score the points. If you get 3 defensive scores and one offensive okay that MIGHT be expected. But 3 offensive td's and then (nah we will get to that later).



Let me tell you what happened in my house yesterday, my uncle came over to watch the game he left at halftime right after the Maclin(non)fumble. Right after Eli hits Nix for that TD. I'm an eagles fan I watch til the clock shows all zeroes but even I know 21 point deficit it takes a total collapse in the 3rd quarter to catch up. My Dad says "we're gonna have a big second half I know it", nah he didn't know it but as a fan you always stick with your team til the end, so when we got the TD in the 3rd quarter to make it 24-10 I was like okay this isn't terrible we MIGHT make it back. Then we stalled on a few drives and the fourth quarter came around, I'm mad, I'm like come on team get it together. Then there is the play where Desean fumbles and Andy doesn't throw the flag, I'm like meh I completely understand after the Maclin call earlier you need your 3 TO's when you are trying to climb back in a game. Yes it made it a 21 point deficit again with 7 minutes to go because the Giants got a TD but I can respect NOT wanting to give up a time out in that situation. We get the ball back and Vick catches Celek with that 60+ yard catch and run, I'm like okay 2 scores come on team fight them. I didn't see the onside kick coming(one because I don't have a lot of faith in them, too many things can go wrong and rarely do they work out and second because I figured we might try it when we were down 1 touchdown instead of two so it was beautiful) but the fact that Akers kicked it perfectly and Cooper timed his jump just right, MAYNE were we cheering. than those two runs by Vick to get us down the field, a couple of more tipped passes and Vick scoots in the end zone. Okay we are down by 1 touchdown, thats fine we kick it off regular, the D burns up the timeouts but we hold the giants without a score, they kick it off. We march down the field again, Vick to Maclin it looks like he is at least have the first down but he avoids the tackle and hits the end zone TIE GAME.

Now if you hear a SINGLE Eagles fan lie and say "we expected to end it in regulation, I had no doubts my team would hold the giants there" ask to see the registration for their bandwagon and never speak to them again. I was expecting overtime, when I saw it was only 14 seconds left I was hoping for a hail Mary prayer toss with a POSSIBLE pass interference call to try and get the field goal. I mean come on I know his foot was hurting, and I know he had a let down game after last week but:"Who kicks the ball to Desean Jackson, with the game on the line KNOWING that he lives for that type of situation?"

So I watch I see Desean basically calling for it, like "give me a chance, kick me the ball"(yeah right Desean, I'm an eagles fan and I wouldn't kick you the ball in that situation), I remember hearing them talk about switching to another game at the conclusion of this one. The Giants had just called time out after letting the clock run down to 12 seconds, the refs had put 2 seconds back on the clock(nooo clue why don't care we didn't need them) and you see the back of Dodge's jersey. When the kick went off and they said it was a line drive I was like please Desean do something, but then he fumbled. Can I say my jaw hit the ground, I was like "Noooooo" I saw the blue jersey's coming in and all I could think is please don't tell me we lose the game like this. I see him pick it up surrounded by blue jersey. I'm like damn we're gonna really need that "hail Mary" play now they've got him, and what came next was something out of  Madden any year you want to pick(hell I have a few punt returns like that saved on my gaming system):

Desean dashes to the left avoiding a few tacklers

Then he starts to weave right, but the crowd is closing in

Then he races past and appears to slap the punters desperate clasping hands away

Okay then it looks like number 51(I think) has the line on him

Can we pause to say EVERYBODY in philly better buy jason avant lunch today cause damn, that block whew I think dudes jock, cleats, helmet, pads and self confidence are still scattered around the field. There are blow up blocks and then there is what Avant did to that dude. Dude supposedly said "he doesn't have eyes in the back of his head", no fam what you had was "Tunnel Vision" all you saw was Desean Jackson, all you saw was the game saving tackle you were hoping to make. Because Jason Avant hit you "DEAD IN THE CHEST BETWEEN THE NUMBERS", if you didn't know any better you would have thought that Avant was the defensive player with that hit, nobody was standing after that hit.

So yeah 51 gets blown up and then it's DAYLIGHT in front of Desean Jackson. Let me repeat "DAYLIGHT in front of Desean Now you see me, no you don't Jackson".

And for the people complaining about him running across the front of the goal line BEFORE he crossed it to make sure no time was on the clock, smart football players run the clock out when they can't be stopped. If you had a FASTER player on your coverage unit HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN OUT THERE. Anybody who calls that classless is a bitter fan, after you evade 11 guys to get near the end zone turning around to see that it's the games LAST PLAY is a master stroke. No miracle plays, no hook and ladders, no statue of liberties, no time ALL ZEROES game over.

And I watched it, from beginning to end, I saw us snatch victory out of the arms of defeat and lock up the division. I know some people can't do math the Eagles won the division yesterday, the GIANTS have 3 division losses, the Eagles have 1. That means EVEN if we lose to the cowboys we still have 1 fewer division loss than the Giants. Division record not overall record decides the division crown. I know people sometimes forget what the hell is going on if you go 10-6 but all 6 of those are division losses you ain going to the playoffs period, but okay we will let that go. We have the second seed MOMENTARILY unless the Vikings spank the bears tonight that it's ours to lose, I would love for the falcons to lose the next two games so we can get home field throughout but you know thats asking a whole lot(especially after you just asked for and received a 21 point comeback and 28 points in the 4th quarter. We outscored the Giants first half in the 4th quarter alone, the second half was so masterful that hearing it compared to the original miracle when I was "fuh yees ol" is like wow. I mean I was alive for the last one, but I have no memory of it. I was 4 I may have been wearing my little eagles jersey and helmet but I was clueless

Which I guess you know makes me even, because watching that fourth quarter I was clueless as to how I was really watching this unfold. And that last play, again the eagles record for punt returns for a TD is held by the guy who just ran the 65 yarder back yesterday, it was 3 thats how rare it is in philly for a guy to take it to the house, a 3rd year player holds our record for running punts back for touch downs(and it was 3 because he made it 3, now it's 4 and as long as he is fielding punts the number MAY go up and he did this with a FOOT INJURY). And after the play he was kinda tired trying to walk off the field(no clue why he was tired I mean he had just SMOKED THE ENTIRE GIANTS COVERAGE TEAM) and nobody would let him(not that I'd blame them dude there is magic and then there is a muffed punt that turns into the first ever END OF THE GAME, LAST PLAY OF THE GAME, PUNT RETURN FOR A TOUCHDOWN IN NFL HISTORY, "yes canton we have another Desean Jackson jersey to send you") money, did I say he was money? Money in big game situations don't let that man near the football, it's a foot race you can't win. That's one of those what if questions:you know who's fast Deion Sanders or Desean Jackson. Could Deion have chased Desean down on that 91 yard back breaker against the cowboys?

This also brings up something else very important PAY THE MAN, not after the season is over, not after the possible work stoppage, NOW. Back to back thousand yard receiving seasons, a touchdown machine, he only has 6 receiving but how many does he have:Rushing? He just added another in the punt game, and look at the first TD grab for Maclin EVERYBODY was following Jackson.  Pay the man, make sure he STAYS in eagle green for the foreseeable future. Pay Michael Vick too, we are 110 yards away from having 2 (count them 2) thousand yard receivers and a thousand yard rusher this year. Remember how before TO we hadn't had any thousand yard receivers then Kevin Curtis did it, then Desean last year and now Desean AND Jeremy. What? You have to cover both sides of the field, and the running back, and still spy the QB, really? you got enough guys for that? And lets not forget we still have Celek a great TE who has gotten lost because well, we have Desean Jackson and Jeremy Maclin. We have home run hitters on the field all Maclin needs is 55 yards a game over the next two games and he's money. I remember the promises Reid made all those years with Donovan and how well Donovan played with INFERIOR talent(you call those WR's he used to have talented and I know you are a liar and an agent for those water boys) but to see us with two STUD wide receivers US, the Philadelphia Eagles, after all those years having to hear about STINKSTON and TRASH. Some people may have hated Freddie Mitchell's loud mouth style but at least he caught the damn ball in big situations, when I played Madden while they were all still on the field I always started Freddie over Todd PINKston(yes I know his real name but Michael Irvin was right dude stunk it up in big games, or if he was about to get hit). At least Freddie would catch the damn ball in big situations.

So yeah Pay Vick, Pay Jackson win the last two games and hope we get a little luck, thankfully the Giants and Packers play each other and the Jets and the Bears play each other. So on the one hand we have two teams trying to take each other out because they both need that spot in the NFC playoff race and on the other we have an AFC team trying to catch it's stride going against an NFC team with a tie breaker over us if we end up with even records at the end of the year. All we have to do is beat a Vikings team that is on the ropes(but that I am rooting for tonight to beat the Bears).

Fly, Eagles Fly

My fellow fans catch your breath and hold on for the ride because if last game is any indication MAN this is going to be something special this year

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for Primal's Ponderings

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews