Thursday, May 19, 2011

Taking in a little piece of midsouth history

I often admit to kind of being captain oblivious at times. Yes I live in Memphis, Tn a music, food, and sitting along the muddy Mississippi part of the Soul of the South. Now if you read my twitstream you may notice me check in around Beale street, or in/near various other midsouth Landmarks but here's the sad part. I've rarely actually enjoyed them I've always been working. Yes I've been on Beale a million times in the last 4 years but except for a few times at the Pig or Rum Boogie rarely do I eat down there. And I haven't been to a music spot since 04.

I laughed I had passed by Tom's BBQ a million times and never set foot in the door until recently(yet when I lived in south jersey I used to visit all the famous philly spots), fixed the printer at the Mesquite Chop house but never sat down for a drink or meal. So today, just to settle my rumbling stomach(since I forgot to eat more than a box of raisins and a banana last night) I decided to get lunch while working off front and Monroe. One of the attendants at the garage I was working at suggested a little deli within walking distance. "The Little Tea Shop", I actually didn't notice the name at first I just saw the sign that said lunch. Looked around not sure if I should just sit down anywhere or if I should wait to be seated(I hate being presumptuous, my mother taught me manners), was directed to sit anywhere and was waiting on by a well informed server. I've actually worked in a few restaurants in my day and I like waist staff who are not only personable but also give you the days special without trying to order for you(unless asked, some days I do take recommendations). He joked about the soup of the day(Lentil)he said "we have a soup of the day but its too hot for soup" took my order(chicken salad sandwich to go with potato salad) and offered me water even after I declined a drink.

Another thing I like is when a server comes back to check on me busy or not remember I'm your customer, yes nothing you can do til my food is ready but hey maybe I want to add(or remove) something. Dude earned his tip, so as I was about to leave he handed me the "menu for all 5 days" which registered as a little odd but I accepted walked up and paid for my food. And left thinking absolutely nothing about the quaint little diner I had set foot it. The place was nice open a cheery, with friendly staff the kind of place people in their 30's remember going with their parents as kids. I walked back to the garage, collected my belongings and left while reading the menu I had been given. Only to find I just stepped foot in Memphis history, a 90 year old tradition still going strong.
I guess I should have known with the way my luck usually runs, hell like Tom's its probably a place I saw on Guy Fieri's show when I used to watch food network a lot.   So here I am, having ignore the world famous pot roast(d'oh! I didn't know I swear), didn't get any corn sticks(dunno, but now that I've read about them I wish I did), and didn't get a picture of my own of the place. Some days I suck, but at least I got good food. A chicken salad sandwich, simple, good, tasty not drowned in mayo, not with unnecessary spices thrown in to "WoW" me, just what I asked for with some good potato salad. Supposedly the proprietor has adjusted the menu to make it healthier and if that is what healthy can taste like, my taste buds love it. 
Okay playtime over back to work

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for Primal's Ponderings

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews