Sunday, November 14, 2010

Movie Review: Skyline

Now some might wonder why I didn't say "It's a bird it's a plane", "up in the sky", "Here I come to save the day" or something along those lines, well it's simple. Another superman movie is due out soon, so I don't want to waste an easy superman reference, at some point in time I'm sure Mighty Mouse will get a movie so I don't want to wast his, but on to the review.

Skyline

Jarrod and Elaine arrive from NY for Jarrod's friend Terry's birthday party. The party is epic, new opportunities are on the horizon and basically just when a guy is getting a chance to enjoy "the life" what do you know a bright blue light strikes the ground and ruins everything. This is another movie along the lines of War of the Worlds, the day the Earth stood still, and Independence Day. There is a lot of action, there is a lot of suspense what there isn't a lot of is humanity kicking bootay.

Let me be honest while I vividly remember this movie I do not like the ending, Now I don't put it up there with War of the Worlds "we are space travelers but didn't know to wear an enviro suit of some kind to protect us from Germs so we won't DIE, or even TEST for said GERMS before we expose ourselves to the environment" no it's not that bad. I just don't like you know the hmm can I say it without ruining the ending, It's a Neoish ending as in the Matrix.

The special effects were great, the aliens were big and awesome this movie should give you pause about investigating a weird light in the future. I kinda like how they handled the whole "nuclear option" ploy in this movie yup aliens arrive, act rowdy, you drop a nuke on them aaaaaand "Yaaaay we wooo, damn is he getting up really, he's getting up damn, um okay I'm out of ideas." This was kinda like the "friday the 13th" of sci fi thrillers, no there is no escape, please quit running I'm still gonna get you, oh look a blonde. I like this movie I'm trying not to give too much away because up until the ending that I don't like they did move the story along at a nice pace. What happens when it all goes to hell and you are thrown together with a bunch of people you barely know and are most likely going to die. This was no "bunch of meddling kids" here they didn't all get along and the many different ways people got taken out was jump in your seat shocking. (I was gonna say something about my wife and horror movies but she may one day read this blog and I don't feel like getting hit in my sleep) I don't really think this movie is set up for a sequel(which is the other reason I don't like the way they ended this movie, unfinished business but not a clear path on how to finish said business) this may have to be my first two part review I may wait a few weeks to go ahead and discuss WHY I don't like the skyline ending. There are a lot of explosions, a lot of bullets fired, some nice looking vehicles, pretty women(but then again the movie is set in LA), I mean in the flashback sequence you would almost think this was gonna be a buddy movie. But the only things there are about to become friends are the aliens foot and humanities behind, there are going to meet early, they are gonna meet often and yes humanity is the one picking up the tab.

I mean if you like suspenseful movies yes go see it, you don't have to stay through the credits on this one I did there is nothing there, but again I don't like this ending, if in a month it's still rattling around in my head(or I come back here reread this and decide to go down that path) I'll say why

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for Primal's Ponderings

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews